Please read, understand, and follow all rules before and during your time on the range.
Safe Gun Handling
- ALWAYS keep gun pointed in safe direction – i.e. downrange
- ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
- ALWAYS keep the action open and firearm unloaded until you are ready to shoot.
- ALWAYS wear eye and ear protection on ranges – both shooters and spectators.
- Be sure that your firearm is safe to operate and that you know how to operate it safely.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your firearm. If you're not sure, ask for assistance.
- Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting, including prescription or OTC meds.
- Never hand a loaded firearm to another person. If the firearm malfunctions, place it on the bench and call the RSO. Follow RSO instructions.
- No drawing from a holster.
- Range Safety Officers (RSOs) are authorized to remove any shooter from shooting ranges or the facility if their behavior is deemed detrimental to safe and comfortable operations of the ranges. NO REFUNDS GIVEN!
On and Off the Range
You must read, understand, and obey all rules before you proceed to any of the ranges. If you have any questions, please ask any of the Range Safety Officers (RSOs) for clarification.
- All shooters or parent/guardian must sign waivers before using the shooting ranges.
- No one under the age of 18 is permitted to shoot on any ranges without a parent/guardian.
- No pregnant women are allowed on shooting ranges, for health reasons.
- WFTC reserves the right to refuse range use or service to anyone for any reason.
- All firearms and ammo are subject to inspection and approval by WFTC staff.
- Individuals displaying the effects of, or thought to be under the influence of, drugs or alcohol will be prohibited from using any of the ranges – this includes prescription or over-the-counter meds.
- All firearms are to be unloaded, cased, with actions open when entering or leaving the facility.
- All “carry” firearms stay concealed/holstered unless you are on firing line and ready to shoot.
- Always wash your hands and face after shooting.
- Sinks are located in the facilities restrooms.
- Food and beverages are prohibited on the shooting ranges.
- NO SMOKING on any range at any time.
- No firearms or live ammo permitted in classroom, except as directed by range personnel.
- Non-members may reserve range time for one lane in advance and are limited to same-day reservations.
- Walk-ins are always welcome but will be subject to range availability.
Note: The range may be shut down for maintenance or safety reasons at any time. Shooters are liable for any damage to equipment caused by their negligence. Wisconsin Firearms Training Center is not responsible for any lost or stolen items on property.
When On the Range
- Range Safety Officers (RSOs) are authorized to remove anyone from the shooting ranges or the facility for any reason. NO REFUNDS GIVEN if you are asked to leave!
- Any and all commands issued by any Range Safety Officer must be followed immediately.
- You may shoot pistols of all calibers, shotguns (slugs only), and rifles up to 300 Win Mag.
- Shoot only from your assigned individual shooting station. Remain behind firing line at all times.
- Do not handle firearms or stand in firing area near firearms when anyone is downrange.
- Load and unload firearms at the firing line only, always keeping muzzle pointed downrange.
- Uncased firearms must kept at the firing line at all times. Case and uncase firearms at firing line only.
- Carry firearms must be securely holstered before leaving the firing line.
- Keep all firearm actions open when not shooting; keep actions top up if on bench.
- Shooting is only allowed from a standing or seated position - no kneeling or prone shooting.
- No rapid fire allowed (more than shot one per second). “Double taps” are OK.
- No tracer, incendiary, armor piercing, Black/Green tip and/or steel core ammunition.
- No use of muzzle-loading or other black powder firearms.
- No use of bean-bag rounds or other less lethal rounds.
- No cross firing at targets. Shoot only at the target in your lane.
- Limit two shooters per lane with only one person shooting at a time.
- Only paper targets are allowed. RSOs reserve the right to prohibit targets deemed offensive or unsafe.
- Use an appropriately sized target placed at eye level.
- Pick up only your own brass that is behind the firing line – do not reach out past firing line.
- Place any trash in the trash can and any “duds/misfires” in marked containers.
The Cease Fire Command
- Stop shooting immediately and remove your finger from the trigger.
- Keep firearm pointed downrange and set it down on the bench.
- Step out of the booth and into the ready area and await further instructions from the RSO.
- Failure to abide by these safety rules may result in you being asked to leave the range.